Friday, February 7, 2014

Off and On The Needles

After fighting with my computer for 2 days, I finally got it to cooperate long enough to load some pictures of my finished 3S Shawl and new knitting project.  Now if it will just let me finish this posting I'll be a happy camper.

Being snowed in (with freezing temps from -9 to zero the last couple of days), afforded me some time to finish my 3S shawl   Here is a picture before blocking.
3S Shawl
I've never blocked anything before, so wasn't sure if I was doing it right.  Before blocking it measured 13 inches from center neckline to point tip.  I put it in warm water with a drop of Synthropol for a few minutes, then rinsed twice and gently squeezed out excess water.  Then layed it on a towel on top of my ironing board to dry.  I pinned it in a few places, at the tips and a few along the diagonal. When wet, it measured 16 inches from neck to bottom point.
3S Shawl After blocking
I decided on the picot treatment for the edge and I like the way it looks.  Having said that, I won't be doing many picots anytime soon though.  It was very slow and tedious and my stitches kept slipping off the needles. 
Picot Edges on 3S Shawl
I'm proud of myself for finishing my first knitted garment.  Now I'm going to try socks, which is what I've wanted to make forever.  Oh my!  Look at all these needles.  It reminds me of the Pick Up Sticks game I used to play when I was a kid.



The yarn I'm using was a gift from a knitter who has a big stash on hand, and it didn't have any information as to content or yardage. It had no label of any kind.  She assured me there was enough there to make a pair of socks.  I've started them 3 times and each time I run into another problem and lose my way trying to figure out how to correct it.  Guess I'm learning, but it's a bit frustrating.   Maybe by the time I finish one sock, the next one will be much easier.  We'll see.


I'm linking up with On The Needles over at Patchwork Times.  Take a few minutes and see what others are up to.

16 comments:

  1. And so you should be proud of yourself girlfriend!!!! Way to go!!! It's beautiful :) And staring a pair of socks too - wow! My first sock I tore out more times than I can count, but by the time I got it done, the second one was much easier. That's not to say I don't still have to think about what I'm doing or tear out sometimes, but usually I feel like I know what I'm doing :*) Handlign all those sticks is kind of a dance - it takes a little practice to get them in the right position. Can't wait to see your progress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have one of those stitch markers that look like a plastic safety pin without the coil, pin it on the knitted fabric on your last needle. That way you can tell at a glance where you are in your pattern. If you don't have those stitch markers use a paper clip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shawl is beautiful!! I've made that one, too, and found it easy and fun. Love the yarn!!! Yay! for starting your sock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love your shawl. Great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Now on to learning how to do socks. Maybe you can give me some tips at retreat!

      Delete
  5. Your shawl turned out great!! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shawl is beautiful! Hope you have a special place to wear it, it will definitely brighten up any outfit. Good luck with your socks, hope it all goes well this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, Dar! Your shawl is beautiful, and it sounds like this is the perfect weather for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shawl is gorgeous! Good luck on the socks -- I remember my first pair and there was a lot of starting over -- you can do it! ( and don't worry you have plenty of yarn there for a pair of socks). Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That shawl is lovely. I've been so tempted to make a shawl because I have seen so many lovely ones around the blogsphere.

    As far as socks go I only made my first pair about two years ago. I found the pattern difficult to understand, so I went to You Tube and looked it up. I found one set of tutorials on the different sections of the sock, which gave me a very clear idea of what each piece was.

    I was recommended to knit using 5 needles, which it looks like you are doing. Now though, I mostly just use five until I get to the heel flap. Then I put all the stitches for the heel on one needle. Later after picking all the stitches up for the gusset, I split the stitches so that I have all the stitches for the top on one needle (so that the ladder that I tend to get between needles isn't there), and the stitches for the left and right bottom on separate needles. That way I know where the shaping will be without much thinking.

    I really do recommend You Tube if you are a visual learner.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice finish, and good luck on the socks. Knitting is past my learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely!! With all the cold weather, you can start wearing it now. Can't give you any pointers with knitting but I had to lol - those needles do look like the pick up sticks game.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your yarn is just scrumptious!!! What pretty colors -- I bet it feels wonderful, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should be very proud. Your shawl is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Dar. Your shawl turned out beautifully! Have you worn it yet? I bet you get lots of compliments. It's just so attractive! And sock-knitting... well. I've given that a go myself, also on four needles. I had a knitting friend visiting from Switzerland alongside me as I went, but when she went home, I stopped knitting, and now have a UFO! Not so sure I need wool socks anymore, either. I hope you persevere to finish yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well you hit it out of the park with your first project! It's just lovely and those colors are gorgeous. . Bet you'll have people stopping you left and right when you wear it. I'll be cheering you on in your sock adventures! People say that knitting socks is simple, but that many needles scares me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to stop by and visit. It makes my day to get mail - either online or in the old fashion mailbox! Some habits you never outgrow.