Saturday, February 15, 2014

Scrap Happy Saturday -Pink and Finishes

Today is Scrappy Saturday over at So Scrappy for February's Pink Challenge and I finished my block earlier this month.  It was fun, but I found out my pink scraps were very limited.

After digging around in my messy sewing room looking in boxes, bags and finally on my shelves, I came up with enough pink scraps to finish my Soul Searching block for February.  I did use a few of them more than once, but that's what using scraps is all about.  I didn't have to buy any, so my stash must be dwindling, right?   (Right, you can hardly notice any gone at all, to be honest).


Since we've had so much snow and cold weather these last few weeks, I've gotten some needed quilting finished.  Here are a couple quilts I did for friends.

Catus Wreath
This lady prefers very limited quilting and usually says just a little "stitch it in the ditch".  I did that, but it needed a lot more because of all the open white areas. She likes very poofy, not flat quilts.  Most people would have wanted more quilting since it looks like it's not quite finished, but she was very happy with the results, and that's what is most important - to please the customer.  Different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes.

On the patchwork that circles the center of the quilt, I put a very simple vine with leaves keeping with the Fall theme.

The next one is a baby quilt using scraps and two simple blocks - trees and houses.  This was so cute with the striped binding and a polka dot backing.
Edited to add information on pattern name and the book it was in.

"It Takes a Village" - from the book Cuddle Me Quick

That's all for now.  I'm linking up with So Scrappy, so go on over and see all the other Pink blocks that people are working on this month.




14 comments:

  1. Cactus Wreath is beautiful! Great job on the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pink Soul Searching block. Your house/tree baby quilt is so cute. I may steal that idea if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You shouldn't have mentioned the doubling up of fabrics - no one would have picked it! The block is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Soul Searching block. Who cares if some of the fabrics are repeated. It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the scheme of things, when you have all of your Soul Searching blocks together, no one will notice a couple of fabrics are duplicated. It is a great block! And you and Teresa in Music City have inspired me to make a Soul Searching block as well! Your quilting is beautiful as usual, and the lady who made the Cactus Patch should be very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! Especially like the corners on cactus wreath and the little houses and trees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It can be challenging working with a limited palette, but the Soul Searching block looks great. Cactus Wreath and the baby quilt are very pretty. I have to admit, I don't like heavy quilting either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may have been able to help you out with those pink scraps. Only have a few hundred already cut into strips. Pink strips. Love the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your SS block is beautiful Dar! Looks like you have enough scraps - have to have some left over for the next time right? And I love that you quilt to please your customer! So many times professional quilters are a little like some hairdressers I've known - they just do what they want to do rather than listen to what I might say I want!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pink block. I really like the Cactus Wreath quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute pink block - I probably wouldn't have enough pink scraps for one block. Love the quilted finishes and you're right, gotta please the customers ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you found enough pinks to make a block. Surely it is a good sign to have to dig for them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that soul searching block is terrific now I want to make one
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to stop by and visit. It makes my day to get mail - either online or in the old fashion mailbox! Some habits you never outgrow.