Saturday, February 25, 2012

Caramel Pecan Levee High Pie

Right before Christmas one of my customers told me about a local item that was featured in Oprah's "Best" list and the December issue of "O" Magazine.  It was from the famous Blue Owl Restuarant in Kimmswick, Missouri which has been around for a long time. I have been there many times in the summer and especially during the Apple Festival when people flock to the little town to try all things "apple" related. I usually don't get the opportunity to try any of the items mentioned by Oprah, but since this was local and my customer is related,  I ordered one for our Christmas Eve dinner.  This was the largest caramel pecan apple pie I've ever seen!  It stands about 12 inches high and they use 18 whole apples sliced into in each pie.  You have to see this to believe it!   They were so popular that the restuarant hired lots more workers and bought another building with a kitchen in order to meet the demand for the holidays.  They shipped them to the East and West Coasts and even had orders from as far away as Hawaii.  If you ever get to the St. Louis area, be sure to take time to check out the Blue Owl.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm, makes me miss the St. Louis area even more! I saw that on Oprah and wondered how it would affect their business. Would love to try that some time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to stop by and visit. It makes my day to get mail - either online or in the old fashion mailbox! Some habits you never outgrow.