Monday, May 16, 2016

Design Wall - May 16, 2016 and Stash Report

I am combining my stash report with what is on my design wall this week.  I have been working on a mystery quilt since February designed by my friend Kevin the Quilter and finally have the top finished except for the last border.  It started with scrappy 9 patches, then added setting triangles to the corners - either one fabric or string pieced corners.  I chose to string piece mine since I love doing string blocks.


The next instruction was to put sashing strips and cornerstones between the blocks.  Since this was all scrappy and from my stash, I choose my teals and browns.

Then I added a neutral border to bring them all together. This took some major piecing together of the left over 2.5" strips.  Hopefully after it is quilted, no one will notice all the additional seams used to make some of the strips long enough.  Here's a partial shot of the wall.


Now it just needs it's border.  I couldn't believe in all my shelves, boxes, and cabinets that I didn't have a brown or teal fabric that would work. So I shopped all over at AQS in  Paducah and only found one fabric that would work with these colors.  So I bought all they had - 2 one yard pieces--not even a continuous 2 yards together!
I think it will work great with all the scrappy colors in the 9-patches.  We are having a show and tell this week on all of our mysteries. I will show you the finished top after the borders are added, which means I need to wash fabric and get them added. I'd better get busy.

So my stash report as of May 15, 2016

Fabric Added since last report - 0
Fabric Added YTD - 2 yards

Fabric Used - 5.38 yards - quilt without borders added or counted yet
Fabric Used YTD - 31.53  yards

I'm connecting up with Judy's Design Wall today.  Check there for more eye candy.




















4 comments:

  1. I like how your quilt is turning out. And yes, that border fabric will probably be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love your Mystery quilt with those teals and browns pulling all that lovely scrappiness together! And I love that you got serious about stitching pieces together to make them work - way to go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great quilt the light turquoise are like turning on the lights in the quilt!
    Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your scrappy mystery quilt. The teal and brown are such a pretty color combination.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to stop by and visit. It makes my day to get mail - either online or in the old fashion mailbox! Some habits you never outgrow.