So for January, my new project is a Disappearing 9-Patch. I've been wanting to try one of these for a long time, AND I also want to use up some stash for Judy's challenge, so I thought I'd combine the two ideas. I found I had lots of this retro plaid/checked tulip fabric in my stash and thought how can I get rid of lots of it FAST. My first thought was as a backing on a quilt. But since I didn't have anything that needed red plaid/checked tulips what else would work. That's how I came up with a NEW project -- make a quilt with blocks in these colors AND use it as the backing too. But into which position to put this "interesting" fabric was the next question. It's too big of a print to look right in any decent sized block, so cutting it up was the answer.
I tried in in the 4 side positions (to use up more of the fabric faster). Didn't much like that look, then I tried it as the center square.
I made up a square of each, cut them apart and arranged different settings to see what looked good.
Finally I decided to place it in the middle position and use coordinating colors around it. Since the colors are red, green, white and dark navy blue, I stuck with fabrics in these colors. I'm also asking my piecing group to make me blocks using the same focus fabric (which I provided to them). This will give me a lot of variety in the reds and greens. I think this last setting may be my choice, but I may change my mind after I get the other blocks to play with. I'm anxious to see what the blocks look like with scrappy reds and greens and whites. The only consant will be the center block of tulip fabric that I gave them to start with. Stay tuned for further development of this January project.
To see what others have started for their new FO Projects, go here.