Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Breakfast Made Easier

Last month Judy from Patchwork Times mentioned eating steel cut oats and preparing them more quickly. Perhaps the title should have been "Teaching an old dog new tricks". Since I eat these several times a week, especially in cold weather, I thought I'd give it a try. I followed the directions on the box for 6 servings.  Measured the water, added the oats and cooked it for 35 to 40 mins.  Then poured the oats into individual servings in an old muffin tin that my mother always used for corn muffins.  It only holds 9 muffins, but they are quite large.  I kept out enough for my current days' breakfast.  Then the tray went into the freezer for a few hours.
When they were frozen like hockey pucks, I took them out and wrapped them individually in plastic wrap, like Judy suggested and put them all in a zip lock freezer bag.  
Here they are all wrapped and sitting on my Valentine table topper.
The next morning, I took one out of the freezer bag, put it in a microwaveable bowl and heated it for 2 mins. added a little milk and heated it another minute or two. 

I like cinnamon and honey or raisins or fresh fruit in it -- whatever I have on had.  It only takes 5 mins. instead of 35 mins. now to enjoy a delicious, hot breakfast.  I love it!  Thanks so much Judy for making my life easier in the mornings.  

7 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'm going to try this. I have a muffin tin like that too. It belonged to my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try this. Did you see my post a few days ago, when I cooked them in my slow cooker over night?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it really works, huh? I love steel cut oats....might have to see about doing this myself :) Thanks for sharing the results. I'm assuming you have to stir it when you add the milk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. so smart! i eat steel cut oats too. love them with blueberries

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also listened to Judy and I'dd that. I cooked the entire box of Steel cut oats!!!! And Frank is loving the time savings when he gets up early for work!! Gotta make that quilt money

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so clever!! You can come down and stock my freezer if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a wonderful breakfast idea. Healthy and handy to eat whenever one has little time for breakfast. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to stop by and visit. It makes my day to get mail - either online or in the old fashion mailbox! Some habits you never outgrow.