Friday, August 10, 2012

Eye Candy

It's been quiet on my blog since Monday, but trust me, I haven't been sleeping.  I've been watching some of the Olympics, spent one day quilting with QOV, worked at the quilt shop and finished up a couple of quilts for friends.
Overall Sam goes Fishing

This is a wholecloth cross stitch baby quilt that was made by a mother and her daughters for a great grandchild.  Since it was pre-marked, I quilted it as indicated.  The backing has blue, tan and brown dots and I hand sewed a chocolate binding.  The embroidery on this quilt was excellent -- the best I've seen in a long time. I think it turned out cute.
Backing












You've all heard of the Jellyroll Races.  Well this was a batik jellyroll that one of my friends made.  She LOVES batiks.  She also loves these colors, which also happen to be some of my favorites too.  It's fun working on quilts with pleasing colors and much easier on the eyes than looking at something that doesn't appeal to you.  The requested quilting pattern she wanted was a simple curvy meander, which turned out perfect with all of the straight lines on the front.  It's a gift for one of her grown daughters.


I only got a couple of shots of the finished QOV quilts from our quilting yesterday.   This was a pretty patriotic sampler. These are so much fun to quilt because every block is different.  You don't get bored at all!
This one will appeal to a race car fan. The orange logos say Winston Cup in them.  From a distance I first thought it was a Halloween quilt with pumpkins.!  I didn't realize my eyes were that bad! ha ha.  The back was a checkered flag with race cars on it.
We had a very productive day and the host church served the best lunch -- a large variety of all kinds of salads and wonderful desserts.  You know, quilters are the best cooks and we were a large group to feed..  There were 110 women and we finished 7 or 8 quilts by the end of the day.




5 comments:

  1. Thank you Dar! It's beautiful and I can't wait to see it in person. We couldn't have done it without you! Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, what a nice surprise to see a message from you. Thanks for stopping by and visiting. I'm happy that you like "Overall Sam Goes Fishing". I know your mother would be so happy that you all finished the embroidery on it and it's ready for her great grandbaby. It was nice meeting Debbie today too. Stop by anytime and leave me a note. Love hearing from you.

      Delete
  2. You've been busy on some pretty quilts! I recognized that as a car quilt as soon as I saw it, but I thought those cars in the lower section were dolphins! How silly is that!!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have 3 baby quilt tops that my Mother embroiderer. I will finish one for my new grandson due in December.
    That red, white, and blue quilt is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just glancing at the quilt before I read about it, I thought is was a Halloween quilt, too, and those were bats on it. Yes, I'm getting my eyes fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to stop by and visit. It makes my day to get mail - either online or in the old fashion mailbox! Some habits you never outgrow.