Friday, August 12, 2016

OTN and A Finish

I finally finished my first scrappy patchwork sock.  I really like all the bright colors and watching the designs appear with each new scrap.  I use 5 dpns to make my socks from the top down, but have been wanting to try some other methods. Maybe after this pair is finished, I will try using those cute little 9" circulars. Still want to try the toe up method too, but haven't taken the time yet to try that. Someone told me it's harder going that direction, especially if you learned the top down method first. Since I'm so slow as it is and I love being able to understand what I'm doing from the top/down, I might not rush into it.  No need to increase the time it takes me to make a pair of socks to one pair a year, right?  And I do have lots of yarn that is waiting to be knitted up.


Also spent some time quilting this small children's size quilt. This is called Bunny Tales and was meant to be a fabric book. Making it into a quilt will get a lot more use, I think and hopefully the little one will use it longer. She can still "read" the book if it's wrapped around her, right?


Time to get busy on loading another quilt, or piecing a QOV or one of my UFOs. But I'm going to check out what others have on their needles this week over at Patchwork Times first.  Why not meet me there.


13 comments:

  1. Oh those pretty socks! Slipped stitches for the ridges?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your sock finish! I love the bright colors and it will be a burst of sunniness on your feet :-) Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would have loved all the yummy yarns I saw in Alaska last week. Made me wish I could knit/crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your scrap sock!!! I make all of mine toe up, but it doesn't matter how you make them, so long as you DO make them and have fun doing it :*). Great use of that "book" fabric - wonderful child's quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how the socks turned out. And of course one can read a book when it's wrapped around them. They just keep squirming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The socks are gorgeous! The striping looks great with the pattern. How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great socks! They and the quilt kind of match!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your sock of many colors! Congrats on a your fun quilt finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable quilt and love the socks. Toe up socks are not difficult at all. I used the cute little 9 in cable on sleeves and after a while ,near the cuff they were too big I can't imagine doing a sock on a 9 inch loop.'
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilt is "Dar"ling! LOL The socks look as though they were from one skein of yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love scrappy socks as much as I love scrappy quilts...that's going to be a wonderful pair. What a clever use of that fabric book! I saw a book panel at the quilt shop the other day and wondered how incorporate it into a quilt and here you have done so perfectly! Love your scrappy border.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, think the book quilt will get a lot more use :) You did a wonderful job setting the "pages" and I love the border.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your scrappy socks are turning out SO cute! Love the idea of using the book panel for a quilt instead. That is a darling quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to stop by and visit. It makes my day to get mail - either online or in the old fashion mailbox! Some habits you never outgrow.